Monday, October 25, 2010

Are we wasting 2% of our input costs???

Field walking allows plenty of time for comtemplation, especially when the field are clean or the decisions easy! so the thought for today is... why are we treating the tram lines with expensive fertilisers and pesticides???

-Spinning fert on granted no option. But with anything applied through a sprayer (so liquid fert included) could be blocked off - why bother, well my fag packet calculations suggest it would save about 2%, or put another way it accounts for 10ha for every 500ha farmed - not a massive area but consider the £200 ish we spend on inputs /ha...I make that £2000 for every 500ha farmed -just for using right angled nozzles or blocking a few off and my assumptions we made on 25cm wide tramlines which can easily be wider by the end of the season.

Is it worth bothering? well if it's not then you won't mind donating the £2000 to someone else - perhaps the chancellor? I don't mind taking it!

I know, I know it's not perfect but it's an idea! -Maybe we should take a leaf out of Tesco's book -every little helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment